Everyone wants to keep the hot tub clean. Clean and clear water is a guarantee not only of pleasant use of a hot tub but also of your safety for health. Therefore, this article is designed to help you decide on the best bromine tablets among the top 5.
Also in this article, you will be able to learn about signs you need to use bromine in your hot tub so that you can be 100% sure about the bromine as the most effective chemical. What is more, we will explain how much bromine you should add to your hot tub and a step-by-step guide on how to use bromine tablets. In the end, we described all the pros of brominator and why it’s worth buying.
So do not waste a minute and choose the best bromine tablets for yourself!
Comparison table: top 5 best bromine tablets for your hot tub
|The safest for eyes and skin
In The Swim Spa Bromine Tablets
Tablet size: 1 inch
Dimensions: 7.8 x 7.3 x 7 inches
- The safest for eyes and skin due to the balanced formula that contains a minimum of irritating chemical elements;
- The best for stable pH level due to the formula which doesn’t contain cyanuric acid stabilizer;
- Has a soft and light odor;
- The best for saving on chemical costs due to the pre-stabilized tablets which replace the stabilizers;
- Makes water soft and smooth due to the non-chlorine formula
|The most cost-effective
Hydria Clear Bromine Tabs
Tablet size: 1.25 inches
Dimensions: 21 x 13 x 13 inches
- The most cost-effective due to the large and long-lasting container size;
- The best for preventing aglae growth due to the presence of anti-algae elements in the formula;
- Dissolves completely and slowly, maintaining a stable level of chemicals in the water;
- The best for keeping a stable pH level (7.2-7.6) without other chemicals;
- The widest variety of container size: 10, 25 or 50 pounds
|The fastest result
Clorox Spa Brominating Tablets
Tablet size: 1 inch
Dimensions: 3.66 x 7.32 x 10.63 inches
- The fastest result due to the active and effective action of substances that disinfect water just in a few hours;
- Fits any brominator due to the universal size of 1-inch tablets;
- Best for stable bromine level due to slow dissolving;
- The best portability due to the container design with handle
|The best for stable disinfection
SpaGuard Brominating Tablets
Tablet size: 1 inch
Dimensions: 10 x 4 x 7 inches
- The best for stable desinfection due to the unique formula which allows tablets to dissolve slowly and keep stable sanitizing level;
- The best safety for children due to the lid of the container, which has a special opening mechanism;
- The easiest use thanks to the comfortable design of the container;
1-inch tablets fit most of the brominators so you won’t need to buy another one
|The most long-lasting result
Spa Choice Bromine Tablets
Tablet size: 1-1.25 inches
Dimensions: 10 x 10 x 10 inches
- The most long-lasting result due to the solid tablets which last 2x as long as other brands;
- The most comfortable use due to the large, easy-access child resistant lid;
- Doesn’t have pungent odor;
- A very solid structure of tablets allows them to not cramble and dissolve slowly;
- Doesn’t make the water cloudy, but helps maintain cleanliness and clearness
Signs you need to use bromine in your hot tub
The first thought that comes to mind before using bromine is, “do I really need it?” Therefore, to facilitate your choice, below we will describe the factors that indicate that you should use bromine.
- Not clear water, with dirt and algae. If you have not used chemicals to care for your hot tub, you will definitely see such manifestations of contaminated water. Remember that if you see similar signs in your water, it means that it should be disinfected. This is the first and most important case when you need to start using bromine.
- You are not happy with the use of chlorine. Many buyers started using bromine because of their dissatisfaction with chlorine. In particular, bromine has a much less pungent odor and does not irritate the skin and eyes. In addition, bromine works much better in warm water and dissolves much more slowly than chlorine, so it is better to use in the hot tub.
- Inability to maintain a stable pH level. Many users who use chemicals to maintain water purity have a problem when their pH levels are unstable. Bromine is the best chemical that can keep a steady and stable level. Thanks to its balanced formula, it can maintain a sufficient level of disinfection without your daily control.
A detailed review of each model
There are so many products, all of the different volumes, different brands, and compositions. We understand how difficult it is for you to decide on the ideal bromine tablets to use. That is why we advise you to pay attention to the detailed description of each product below.
In The Swim Spa Bromine Tablets – the safest for eyes and skin
The safest for eyes and skin
7.8 x 7.3 x 7 inches
|The best for stable pH level due to the formula which doesn’t contain cyanuric acid stabilizer
Makes water soft and smooth due to the non-chlorine formula
Do you have little children whose safety you care about? Or are you tired of the constant irritation of the eyes and skin while enjoying yourself in the hot tub? Then In The Swim Spa Bromine Tablets are perfect for you. Thanks to its unique formula, which does not contain any harmful and irritating substances, you can be sure of the safe use of your hot tub.
One of the main advantages is that the formula is pre-stabilized and will not cause an unpredictable and fast change in pH level (unlike SpaGuard Brominating Tablets, where you need to constantly check the level of bromine in water). This will save you quite a lot of money. In addition, this product makes the water soft and smooth, making your time in the hot tub even more enjoyable.
What is more, these tablets have an almost imperceptible and light odor. But if you are a very picky buyer who does not want to hear even the slightest smell of chemicals, you can buy yourself a Hot Tub Aromatherapy Fragrance Assortment that will make you relax as much as possible.
Hydria Clear Bromine Tabs – the most cost-effective
The most cost-effective
21 x 13 x 13 inches
|The best for preventing algae growth due to the presence of anti-algae elements in the formula
The best for keeping a stable pH level between 7.2 and 7.6 without other chemicals
Tired of spending a lot of money just on chemicals for your hot tub? Forget about it. Thanks to the container weighing 50 pounds, you can forget about buying bromine for the next year. Due to the size and quality of Hydria Clear Bromine Tabs, it is perhaps the best choice for frugal and picky buyers.
Importantly, this is one of the few products that guarantee the complete elimination of algae. This is possible due to the presence in the composition of bromine tablets of special anti-algae elements. However, do not think that this is the only aspect that can please you with the use of these bromine tablets. Unlike Clorox Spa Brominating Tablets, they make the water clean from the first days and keep it in this state all the time long.
However, if you are still unsure of your choice and want to test this product, you can choose a different volume of containers. The manufacturer offers you three options: 10, 25, or 50 pounds.
Clorox Spa Brominating Tablets – the fastest result
The fastest result
3.66 x 7.32 x 10.63 inches
|The best portability due to the container design with handle
Fits any brominator due to the universal size of 1-inch tablets
Tired of waiting weeks for bromine tablets to work and you see the perfect pH result between 7.2 and 7.6? In our fast-paced world, there is no time to wait for something, so we offer you Clorox Spa Brominating Tablets, which will show results in the first days of use!
Thanks to a special formula that contains active and effective ingredients, your water will be completely disinfected after 1 or 2 uses. The bromine tablet itself dissolves very slowly, which allows you to maintain a stable level of chemicals. However, we still recommend that you use test strips for continuous monitoring.
These tablets are especially effective when used in hot water thanks to the strong structure and special ingredients that allow tablets to maintain efficiency for a long time. And let us remind you that this is one of the biggest advantages of bromine compared to chlorine.
SpaGuard Brominating Tablets – the best for stable disinfection
The best for stable disinfection
10 x 4 x 7 inches
|The best safety for children due to the lid of the container, which has a special opening mechanism
1-inch tablets fit most of the brominators so you won’t need to buy another one
Today your water in the hot tub is perfectly clean, and tomorrow you see dirt? It is an unpleasant surprise that could have been avoided just by using SpaGuard Brominating Tablets. Thanks to a special formula, these bromine tablets maintain constant and even disinfection, so you can be sure of the purity and safety of your water.
Also, one of the biggest advantages is the container. Due to its shape and a handle, it is incredibly easy to carry. In addition, it has a special lid design that completely protects children from opening it. Unlike Hydria Clear Bromine Tabs, this design is considered much more convenient to use.
Another big plus is the fact that bromine tablets are 1 inch in size, which means that they fit most brominators and you will not need to buy a new, larger one.
Spa Choice Bromine Tablets – the most long-lasting result
The most long-lasting result
10 x 10 x 10 inches
|The most comfortable use due to the large, easy-access child-resistant lid
Doesn’t make the water cloudy, but helps maintain cleanliness and clearness
Spa Choice is a very well-known and popular brand, so it is not surprising that users often choose it. Due to this, the company is constantly trying to improve its products, and Spa Choice Bromine Tablets are no exception. Thanks to the innovative formula, these tablets last twice as long as others.
Unlike Clorox Spa Brominating Tablets, these tablets do not make the water cloudy and remain solid for a very long time. This means that they will not only save your time but also a lot of money.
What is also a special difference is that your restless children will not be able to open the container easily. This model, as well as SpaGuard Brominating Tablets, has a special lid with a protective mechanism that prevents opening. It is quite difficult to open even to an adult, but such a trifle is worth it to make sure that your children are completely safe.
How much bromine should I add to my hot tub?
Adding chemicals to water is a very important matter that requires care and responsibility. It will determine not only whether the water will be cleansed of harmful substances, but also whether its will not harm your skin and eyes.
First of all, to find out the level of bromine in your hot tub, you need to measure it using test strips. On average, your hot tub bromine level should always be between 3-5ppm (parts per million).
Of course when you use tablets, you can’t measure the amount of bromine in grams. But you need these indicators to get a general idea of its normal amount in water.
Also, you need to remember that pH level must be between 7.2 and 7.6. If the level is lower or higher, you can use a pH increaser (such as SpaChoice pH Increaser) or pH reducer (such as AquaDoc pH Decreaser) to balance the levels.
But also there are other ways to increase or decrease bromine level:
- If you want to higher the bromine level, in this case, you need to add 3-6 bromine tablets at a time (depending on the size of your hot tub), wait 20 minutes, and then test again. Try to repeat until the level is between 3-5mg/l.
- If you want to lower the bromine level, you can add a neutralizing chemical, such as sodium thiosulfate. There is no clear amount to add because it all depends on what level of bromine was before. Therefore, start with a small amount, testing the level of bromine every 20-30 minutes.
But if you do not like this option, it is much easier to just drain your hot tub and after re-collecting water add the right amount of bromine.
How to use bromine tablets: a step-by-step guide
You may think: what can be easier than using bromine? Just take the tablet and put it into the water. However, in reality, everything is much more complicated, and if you want bromine to work effectively in your hot tub, make sure you follow all the steps below.
- First of all, you need to make a bromide bank. It is needed to have a start point of a bromine level to which you can add bromine tablets to adjust the level of chemicals. It takes 2-3 weeks to create a bromine bank. You can do that by adding kind of chemicals like Spa Choice Bromide Booster Spa Sanitizer each time before you fill your spa with water after drainage.
- After this stage you need to use spa shock (such as SpaGuard Enhanced Shock). It is an important stage because spa shock works with the bromide to convert it to bromine, which will keep your water clear, and clean, kill algae and eliminate any contamination. Remember, that it is preferable to shock the water weekly in order to activate the bromine.
- Next, you need to put your tablet in the brominator (it is also often called “dispencer”). This thing is incredibly useful because it allows the tablet to dissolve evenly and gradually, maintaining the right level of bromine in the water.
Since most brominators are made for 1-inch tablets, many buyers may have a problem choosing a brand, because often the tablets are a bit larger so they need to buy a new brominator. We advise you to buy SpaGuard Brominating Tablets with 1-inch tablets to be sure that you will not have to spend extra money.
What is a brominator and why it’s worth buying?
Brominator is an important and very useful thing that can not be ignored. It is relatively cheap and will save you a lot of time and money in the future. To describe this thing briefly, the brominator is designed to hold a bromine tablet that will slowly dissolve in water.
But let’s talk about the most important advantage of this thing: if the tablet dissolves slowly, it is ensuring a stable and even level of chemicals in your water. More than once, we have read desperate comments from users that the tablet dissolved in a few days, and the bromine level skyrocketed. In fact, it was easy to avoid this situation just by using a brominator.
Be careful in this regard and remember that it is better to spend $ 10 on a brominator than five times more on other bromine leveling chemicals.
In this article, we have presented you with the top 5 best bromine tablets by the following characteristics: container size, tablet size, their characteristics in the ingredients, whether they have an odor and do not irritate the skin and eyes, and many others. Let’s remind you of the best products by looking at this table:
|In The Swim Spa Bromine Tablets
|Hydria Clear Bromine Tabs
|Clorox Spa Brominating Tablets
|The safest for eyes
|The most cost-effective
|The fastest result
Also we mentioned such important aspect as signs you need to use bromine in your hot tub so that you can be 100% sure about the bromine as about the most effective chemical. Also, we explained how much bromine should you add to your hot tub and a step-by-step guide on how to use bromine tablets. In the end, we described all the pros of brominator and why it’s worth buying.
We hope you found this article useful and that you will start using bromine tablets and improve your experience of hot tub use soon!
❓ What are bromine tablets used for?
💭What is a good matching tattoo for couples? Bromine tablets are used to remove dirt from the water, kill algae and maintain a stable level of disinfection with pH levels in the water. They keep water clear, clean, and safe to use
🔍 Which is better: chlorine or bromine?
The answer is clear – bromine. Compared to chlorine, it has many advantages and works especially well in hot tubs, providing the highest level of disinfection.
🏊♂️ Do you need bromine tablets in hot tub?
Yes. To ensure the safest use of your hot tub, you should use bromine. If you do not do this, the water will become dirty and contain harmful microbes, which can harm your health.
📌 Can I use chlorine instead of bromine in my hot tub?
Yes, you can do it. However, in any case we recommend the use of bromine, because only it can really work effectively in hot water, disinfecting it evenly.
Did you like the article? Was it helpful?